Headquartered in Tucson, Arizona, we are a provider of instruments and reagents for molecular profiling applications. Our mission is to empower precision medicine at the local level. Our next-generation sequencing (NGS)-adapted chemistry and instrument platforms automate sample processing and can quickly, robustly, and simultaneously profile hundreds or thousands of molecular targets from samples a fraction of the size required by competitive technologies, enabling customers to do more molecular profiling with less sample.
Additional information about us is available at www.htgmolecular.com.
The role of Senior Research Scientist is responsible for contributing scientific and technical expertise to initiate, conduct and direct complex product and technology research, and provide support to the development of novel products. This individual will interact with and support various internal and external stakeholders, and may act as a liaison with internal functions and/or outside collaborators and partners.
This role requires an in-depth understanding of first-principle mechanisms applicable to molecular biology, cancer biology, gene expression profiling and next generation sequencing (NGS) technologies. The role will also require participation in optimizing and improving current commercial assays and establishing workflows, processes and technologies by providing scientific, technological and subject matter expertise as needed. The incumbent will lead execution of research, clinical and analytical laboratory studies from study design through final data analysis and study report.
- Provides strong scientific expertise in the areas of cancer biology, molecular genetics, gene expression profiling and NGS analytical methods for evaluating tumor-associated biology.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge in the above areas, and proactively proposes and implements application of new ideas and concepts in the context of development programs.
- Independently performs a wide variety of experiments, techniques and assays to advance technology development, product development, collaborations and troubleshooting.
- Collaborates with peers, or works independently to investigate and address highly complex product-related biological and technology development issues.
- Provides subject area expertise (biology, technology, process, etc.) directly or identifies a subject matter expert to consult with the team as needed.
- Authors research protocols and reports for a wide range of studies, including feasibility, exploratory, clinical and analytical studies, to be executed within the Research and Development function as well as externally in collaborators’ laboratories.
- Provides scientific input to help set the direction for product and process improvements.
- Authors abstracts, conference posters and talks, as well as publications.
- Provides internal education about products and technology to new and existing employees at varied experience and technical knowledge levels.
- Provides technical oversight to remove roadblocks and coordinates with Department Head or others as necessary to complete laboratory studies on time and on budget.
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Cancer Biology, Genetics, or an associated relevant field or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 6 years of relevant industrial or post-doctoral experience (industrial experience highly preferred).
- Strong background in biochemistry and molecular biology methods with experience in assay development, nucleic acid isolation, purification and quantitation, qPCR, RNA-Seq, gene expression profiling, RNA techniques, and next generation sequencing (NGS) assays.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of tissue-based and non-tissue-based analytical methods for evaluating tumor-associated biology and/or immune response mechanisms. Experience in cancer-focused research through published research.
- Strong familiarity with a variety of next-generation sequencing workflows including library preparation, instrumentation, and data analysis.
- Ability to perform highly complex research independently in a systematic manner. Proven track record of subject matter expertise in relevant research areas demonstrated through publications and product R&D.
- High level of proficiency with basic statistical methods and mathematics, data-analysis software and standard statistical tests.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills (including technical writing).
- Detail-oriented and highly organized while demonstrating effective time management to meet deadlines within budgetary constraints. Must be able to work effectively on multiple programs in a fast-paced environment with an appropriate level of business acumen.
Physical, Mental, and Environmental Requirements:
Some weekend and evening work may be required in order to meet deadlines. Work is indoors in a seasonally heated and air-conditioned environment. The position is sedentary and requires lab work, typing and the ability to move objects weighing up to 25 lbs. Occasional travel is required.
Nestled at the foothills of the majestic Catalina Mountains, and ringed by 4 other mountain ranges, a young and family friendly modern metropolis, Tucson offers 276 days of sunshine, unparalleled golf, museums, historic sites and hiking trails where one can experience the wide variety of animal and plant life of the Sonoran Desert, one of the most biodiverse spots on the planet.
HTG offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package including 100% employer paid medical and dental benefits, long term disability and life insurance, an employee stock purchase plan, and the unique ability to work with cutting edge technological advances.
Please apply here
HTG is an Equal Opportunity Employer